Sunday 9 March 2008

High Scores and XML

Its time for something a little more fun in my exciting blogging world!

Today, XML!

To cut a long story short, I used to play games pretty competitively, vying for the best times / scores on various websites. A problem with having multiple websites to track scores and multiple games to keep track of, I always wished I could have a way of storing my high scores in a simple way that could be easily updated or manipulated.

HTML was too static and Excel was too local, but now, XML provides a wonderfully flexible solution to the problem. Hooray!

I figured I would write a basic XSLT stylesheet for my new XML file so I can plop it onto my website and make it look pretty and readable.

So far I have added several games to my data file and it can be viewed in all its glory HERE.

Gold stars like this indicate world records

Current games:

  • TimeSplitters 2
  • F-Zero GX
  • Marble BlastUltra
  • Metroid Prime
  • SSX 3
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • Super Monkey Ball


I'm intending to write a php wrapper page for it which can be used to sort / manipulate the data via the web page, but for now I would love to hear your thoughts on it so far.

Thanks, and enjoy!

No comments: